Sunday, February 14, 2010

OMG! – Not another titleholder



As Los Angeles Leather rolls around, I'm to tell you why you should run for one of the titles that the leather community offers.
I can hear your eyes rolling. No way! I'm too shy. Too much work. I'm not good looking enough.
A friend gave me an interesting perspective on titles. A title year is like your life, compressed into one year; a year which can show you what you really care about, what your faults really are, who truly supports you, what you honestly enjoy doing. It's an opportunity to live your life completely differently.
So...here are some of the reasons why NOT to run for a title, and some reasons why you SHOULD.
The biggie, first: I'm too shy. Trust me, I am shy; painfully shy. If this is your reason for not running, let me ask: do you like being shy? I know I don't. Having a title is a fantastic opportunity to challenge shyness and fight it head on. Your title is a door opener. It's your JOB to talk to strangers, other shy strangers, hot strangers and fresh meat from out of town. People want you to talk to them.
It's too much work. Having a title is as much or as little work as you make it. Many titleholders are just looking for a little fun...and that's okay. Most producers have only a few expectations of their titleholder. Show up at a few events, hang around the bar making people feel welcome. Bars are always looking for something different...you can be that something different.
I'm not good looking enough. Look at the titleholders around the community. We are a motley crew of looks, sizes, backgrounds. What I can tell you is this...running for a title will make you look at yourself differently, it'll bring out the things that are most attractive about you from your charm to your physique to your dedication to your beautiful green eyes to your infectious laugh.
Having run for and won Mr. Regiment and American Leatherman has given me the confidence to go to events on my own and speak to people I've never met before. It's made me realize that I could make a lasting impact on our community. I've made friends I would never have met otherwise and I'm a greater me for the experience.
If you'd like to know more about upcoming contests, shoot me an email at americanleatherman2009@openkink.org
Cheers,
Alex Lindsay
American Leatherman 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment